Stepping away from my usual “opposite world” meme – in honor of Absurdity Today‘s Julianna Forlano‘s regular Thursday appearance, we deem today “Absurdity Thursday”.
I started this morning’s show with the intention of lightening things up after a really awful week. But as the show progressed and we talked about the stories we didn’t get to earlier in the week, I realized that each was more absurd than the last… from McDonald’s starting a financial planning site (be sure to look at the numbers they filled in on page 4) to show their obscenely underpaid employees that they can, indeed, support a family of four on around$13,000 a year, to Texas state officials confiscating tampons and other female hygiene items from people hoping to observe the debate over a new anti-abortion law – while simultaneously allowing those with concealed weapons easy express-line access.
Is there any word for those stories other than absurd?
I invited a new friend on the show today, also in an effort to end the week on a lighter note -though I’m not sure we were successful on that front, as once again, the topics bordered on the insane. Sarah Burris works at Daily Kos, helping to promote the stories that are trending on the site and pushing out important memes… I thought we’d address some of the stories she included in the last few email blasts she sent out (sign up for that list here!).
- Elizabeth Warren reduces CNBC “Squawk Box” team to rubble, by Upper West
- Good news from the Trayvon Martin tragedy, by Horace Boothroyd III
- A letter from Marissa Alexander – the battered woman serving 20 years for firing a warning shot, by Leslie Salzillo
- Why Isn’t NRA arguing Trayvon Martin tragedy could have been averted if only he had a gun?, by David Harris Gershon
- A Cop’s take on the verdict , by Militant Apathy
- Chambers Brothers singer assaulted on stage dedicating set to Trayvon Martin, by Zwoof
- Most viral Daily Kos Facebook meme of the week: Sarah Silverman on anally probing Scott Walker
- PA-Gov: Tom Corbett (R) Calls pregnant women and breast cancer patients healthcare moochers, by poopdogcomedy
- Has Cumulus Media already thrown in the towel on Rush Limbaugh?, by ProgLegs
- Erick Erickson tells liberals to go buy coat hangers after TX abortion bill passes, by weather dude
- “Full Figured” woman kicked out of Missouri swimming pool for wearing bikini, by Heavy Mettle
Yes, for the most part, absurd is the word is the word is the word….