Today is December 30… and this afternoon, I’ll guest host the Randi Rhodes Show one more time to close out the year.

We’ll finish our listen back to some of the highlights (and low points) of the year, ask for your New Years’ Resolutions and talk with a few guests too…

Comedian Ralphie May is headlining the West Palm Beach Improv this week, so he’ll join me in the studio.

We’ll talk with South Florida Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who also doubles as chair of the DNC.

And we’ll laugh with comedian Hal Sparks too…

It’s your last chance of the year to call in to 866-877-2634 and make your resolutions know to all…

As for mine, a few thoughts at the end of the year:

As if required, we all tend to use the end of each year to reflect, to give thanks, to make pledges and promises. This year is no different, so here we go.

2011 was a year filled with difficulty and despair, but it also gave me a glimmer of hope.  As millions in this country still can’t find work, we’re told the economy is recovering. The rich – now forever known as the 1% – continue to prosper, while the rest of us – the 99% – struggle to get by.

But 2011 will forever be engrained in history as the year the oppressed, the downtrodden, the unemployed masses and people of conscience from all socio-economic classes said “Enough!”  They moved from behind the computer screens and online petitions into the streets and began occupying public spaces.

From the Arab Springs to the Occupy movement, this was the year the people banded together to stand up for what’s right.  There’s something palpable in the air – all over the world.

I can feel it.  I know you can too.

With a big election year ahead of us, there’s so much more at stake here at home.  Our very democracy is on the line.  Will we allow corporate money and the 1% to buy the power?  Or, will We The People continue to fight back against those whose control would transform our fledgling -and never quite realized democracy into some devastating combination plutocracy and oligarchy?

I may not always give voice to great optimism, but in this case, I believe the people will win.  The huge strides made this year will continue to grow in 2012; that the apathy that engulfed the masses for the past few decades will give way to even greater action and participation.

As for my personal pledges — resolutions, if you will — I’ll include the usual promises most of us make to ourselves at the start of every new year, and add a few:

  • Exercise more, lose weight, take better care of myself
  • Be a nicer, better person
  • Count my blessings
  • Always look on the bright side of life

A dear friend of mine is always stressing the importance of intention.  She’s constantly sending reminders like “Give thanks whenever you want more. Of anything.  Happy dance whenever you want LOTS more.”   That’s really good advice I’ll try to take more often.

As for gratitude – I have so much of it to go around.

To the many people whom I’ve never met, but who listen to my ramblings every day and support my work, I thank you more than words can express.  I appreciate the fact that you allow me to fill some of your precious time each day.  And to those who’ve reached into their pocketbooks for subscriptions and donations, I’m so grateful for your generous and thoughtful support.

To Randi Rhodes who so often trusts me with her microphone and her audience, I can’t thank you enough for the honor (and the work that truly helps keep me afloat during these trying economic times).  And to her wonderful  staff – John Manzo, Shawn Smith Peirce and Matt Cooper, it’s always a pleasure working with you.

To my daughter, I thank you for the unconditional love that goes both ways – even when you push every button to test me.

To David, my partner, my thanks for the love, support and security I don’t always think I deserve.

At the end of each year, we always wish for a better new year.  And that tradition continues today.

May 2012 bring happiness, prosperity, justice and peace on earth!