Please welcome back regular guest contributor, author of Being Christian – a racy novel that explores the dark underbelly of the right-wing Christian world – and the go-to blogger on shocking religion news, hypocrisy, and all things church v. state (weekly upchucks), KC Boyd.
You can link over to the official KC Boyd site here for much-needed antidotes (scroll down) or any links that failed to show up here! Welcome to KC’s weekly “where religion meets your rights” collection:
Your Weekly Upchucks: The place where religion meets your rights
– by KC Boyd
With the heaviest of hearts I present this week’s Upchucks. Upchucks without the snark.
The religious ideology that sent zealots into the streets, the restaurants and the concert hall in Paris, that sent them there with the sole intention of taking as many innocent Westerners along with them to their death defies reason, defies decency, defies humanity. There are times to see Upchucks for the mere absurdist stupidity that they represent. Then there are times like now that we all must take the Christian Right, our very own home-grown zealots, seriously to stop them before they take more power over our lives than they already have.
We must do much, much more than to simply ‘Pray for Paris.’ We have to, each and every one of us, confront extremism religion in our daily lives, both locally and nationally and to do it here and now. Because it can happen here.
Abortion, Contraception And Other Women’s Issues
- Anti-Contraception Rhetoric At GOP’s ‘Freedom’ Summit
- Fiorina Wants Forced Parental Notification in California
- Targeted regulations of abortion providers (TRAP) force another clinic closure in Indiana.
- Bill That Lets Bosses Fire Single Women For Getting Pregnant Gains Steam
- GOP senator demands Mizzou grad student stop studying effects of 72-hour abortion waiting period on women
- Rubio’s Success in Tuesday Night’s Debate Should Terrify Women
- Michigan’s Proposed Second-Trimester Abortion Ban Advances
- Atheists slam PA school nurse for refusing to treat student who won’t stand for Pledge of Allegiance
- Eighth-Graders In Ohio Public School Allegedly Taught Marriage Prevents STDs
- Jeb! is proud he made FL teach young Earth creationism & the upside of slavery.
Fifty Shades Of Hate
- Freedom conference organizer: Homosexuals are coming for Christians like ‘what Hitler was doing’
- Christian Group Releases Rankings Of Anti-Gay, Anti-Choice Companies
- Newt Gingrich tells Congress to follow Houston’s lead and block protections for transgender students
- Anti-gay pastor wants America to repent for fictional British wizard Harry Potter’s ‘homosexuality
- Marco Rubio hires antigay activist Eric Teetsel to be his Faith Director
- Episcopal preacher skewers Maine GOP with the Gospel after they bizarrely smear him as ‘anti-Christian’ -with-the-gospel-after-they-bizarrely-smear-him-as-anti-christian/
- Judge Cites Anti-Gay Research To Remove Foster Child From Same-Sex Parents
- Ted Cruz exploits Paris attack to talk about Christian persecution while honoring anti-gay bigots
If Media’s The Message
- Fox Host: “The War On Christmas [Is] Off To An Early Start” On Starbucks’ Coffee Cups
- Sandy Rios joins the Religious Right’s Putin love-fest, says he’s promoting “God’s way,” unlike Obama
- Right-Wing Pundit: Muslim Refugees Are ‘Human Garbage’
- Why Is the Media Ignoring Ted Cruz’s Embrace of ‘Kill the Gays’ Pastor?
Israel, End Times, John Hagee And His Ilk
- West Bank settler arrested in attack on left-wing rabbi
- Is Sheldon Adelson involved in funneling Chinese cash into US election?
- Netanyahu’s National Spokesman on Jerusalem’s most contested holy site: “The Temple Mount is the place most sacred to the Jewish nation, not to religious Jews. The Temple … is the principle symbol not just of religion but of sovereignty. … The desire to build the Third Temple is worthy, Jewish, and Zionist on the first order.”
Lies, Hypocrisies And Propaganda
- Cuban comrades say Ted Cruz’s dad wasn’t a rebel blowing up buildings for Jesus — as he has claimed
- Walid Shoebat has no business training police, given his clear, consistent disrespect for the First Amendment
- As ‘Christian’ as they come: Carson, Trump Bash Mizzou Student Protests
- Carson’s calm is cracking as his bio is questioned. To understand why, you need to understand the Christian right.
- Ben Carson: Religion is needed to interpret science because ‘maybe it’s just propaganda.’
- Ted Cruz Declares Non-Christians Unfit to Govern
- Donald Trump wins the coveted Phyllis Schlafly endorsement because he “acts like he loves America”
- Marco Rubio Recruits Staunch Anti-LGBTQ, Anti-Choice Faith Leader
- Duck Dynasty Swoops In To Help David Vitter
- Fresh off the “kill-the-gays” conference, Ted Cruz is joining activists who see gay activists as demonic enemies
- David Vitter wins support from Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council, Religious Right orgs
- Ben Carson raps Jeb Bush for intervening in Terri Schiavo case: ‘It was much ado about nothing’ (even a stopped clock is right twice a day)
Religion Gone Bad Gone Mad
- LDS CHURCH LABELS SAME-SEX SPOUSES “APOSTATES,” BARS CHILDREN FROM BAPTISM
- Rick Scarborough says AIDS is God’s judgment, but we’d find a cure if we’d just repent for tolerating homosexuality
- Bristol Palin: Starbucks cups ‘are an attempt by the left to make Christians look stupid’
- Mormons plan mass resignations over ‘kick in the stomach’ decision to label gay members ‘apostates’
- Christian school: Girls must cover legs with tights to prevent rape or be punished with ‘isolation’
- Mormon boy denied priesthood ordination because his mom is living with a woman
- Richard Land calls for Starbucks boycott over its “War on Christmas” cups
- Violent Bible games?
- Sarah Palin: Bristol keeps getting pregnant because God is giving her ‘3rd, 4th and 5th chances’
Sausage Makers And Their Sausage
- Louie Gohmert Suggests A Congressional Study Putting Gay And Straight Couples On An Island To ‘See Which One Nature Favors’
- Gordon Klingenschmitt: Hurricane Gordon Was A Sign Of God’s Support For Me
- Iowa’s Joni Ernst: Obamacare is bad because people should rely on churches for help
Scandals, Scams And Crimes
- Does your pastor have a phony doctorate?
- Couple whose baby daughter was left to starve, suffer and die because of their strict religious beliefs have been jailed for a total of more than 17 years.
- Fundie Parents Starve and Abuse Adopted Daughter
- The Monsignor Who Took Money From the Poor and Binged on Ecstasy and Champagne
Science Or Not
- Ken The Ham to continue damaging America’s intellect with the opening of his Ark Park For Morons in July/16, a biblical choice of dates.
Supremes And Lower Courts
- Utah Judge Removes Baby From Same-Sex Couple (see below for Antidote)
- U.S. Supreme Court Takes Up Texas Abortion Law Case
- Justices have until June to make a final ruling
- Justice Kennedy Can Save ‘Roe,’ But Will He?